CBD 101: The Benefits & Administration of CBD, How cannabinoids can help you embody greater health and wellness. January 22, 2019 15:26
- Phytocannabinoids – Plant Derived
- Synthetic cannabinoids – Marinol, K2, Spice
- Hybrid Pharmaceuticals - Sativex and Epidiolex
What is the Endocannabinoid system?
The endocannabinoid system (ECS) is a group of endogenous cannabinoid receptors located in the mammalian brain and throughout the central and peripheral nervous systems, consisting of neuro-modulatory lipids and their receptors.
With the complex interactions between organs, glands and systems, the ECS effectively becomes a bridge between body and mind.
In addition, the ECS connects us to our external environment through the receptors within our skin, effectively providing another opportunity for administration of cannabinoid therapy.
What does the ECS do?
The endocannabinoid system regulates every system from the time of our conception. Endocannabinoids help regulate day-to-day bodily functions, such as:
- Motor control
- Immune function
- Reproduction and fertility
- Pleasure and reward perception
- Temperature regulation
Explore pharmaceutical freedom with cannabinoid therapy.
Cannabinoid Therapy is the administration of cannabinoids to help the system achieve balance or homeostasis. Common forms of administration include:
The Brightfield Group and HelloMD conducted a study in 2017 of 2400 participants in California. According to the study, CBD is being used to replace traditional medicines, with 42% of respondents stopping their use of other medications to treat conditions including anxiety (67%), insomnia (60%), joint pain and inflammation (52%) and depression (43%).
Anxiety, Depression, Stress, PTSD and CBD
40 million Americans use pharmaceuticals to cope with anxiety, stress and depression. CBD modulates the 5HT group of receptors, affecting serotonin levels more quickly than most SSRI’s used to treat anxiety and depression. Enhancing neurotransmission:
- Augments the extinction of conditioned fear
- Promotes hippocampal neurogenesis (new neurons)
- Provides a bi-directional circuit with feedback, promoting homeostasis
- CBD reduces social phobias
- CBD increases body/mind/environment awareness
CBD and Pain
- Reduces inflammation
- CBD relaxes muscles
- Dulls perception of pain without decreasing awareness
- Activation time is quick
- Non-habit forming or addictive